Your Child’s First Dance Class; How to Prepare and What to Expect
We love watching a new round of excited dancers and dance families walk through the studio doors each summer and fall. A child’s first dance class is a BIG deal! For some students it may the first time they have taken a class independently from their parents. Students may feel both excited and a little nervous- perfectly normal!
Parents, students, and teachers all have expectations about how that first class should go. At Mellado Dance Elite, we want to ensure that your child’s first dance experience is positive and exceeds your expectations! We realize what a special milestone a child’s first dance class is.
We’ve put together some suggestions on how to prepare for your child’s first class and what to expect. We hope these suggestions will help both you and your dancer to feel confident! We want to help all of our dance families to be successful.
How to Prepare:
- Read through the dress code and purchase the required items well in advance. Looking the part sets the tone! Dancers that have the right clothing and shoes will feel more confident. Try these things on well in advance to make sure everything fits properly and also allow your dancer to get comfortable. Dance clothes feel different than street clothes.
- Visit the studio before the first day. If at all possible, attend an open house event or register in person with your dancer. Find the changing rooms, bathrooms, and dance studios. Point out where you will be waiting while they are in class. This is especially helpful for younger dancers. Give them an opportunity to get familiar with a new environment!
- Talk about what is going to happen. Pump your dancer up! Talk about what they will wear. Let them know they will be taking a dance class where they are going to learn and have fun. Remind them of how important it is that they are good listeners. Talk about how proud you will be of them when they are done!
- Bring a fed, happy, and rested child to class. No one is at their best when they are hungry or tired! Adults included. Try not to push their limits close to class time. Provide a snack before class. Make sure to consider naptimes and bedtimes when choosing a class.
- Bring them to dance with their leotard and tights already on. Trust us! Struggling getting tights on a young child is a task best completed at home.
- Arrive a few minutes early. Rushing is the last thing you want to do! Give your child enough time to get their shoes changed, use the restroom if needed, and get excited for class!
What to Expect:
- Confirm which studio your child’s class is being held in. As you enter the studio, you will be greeted by a helpful front desk staff member. They are happy to point you in the right direction!
- Head into the changing room. Have your child place their belongings in a cubby. This is where they can remove any cover-ups and change their shoes.
- Find your studio. When they are ready, dancers can head towards their studio. Dancers should wait outside until their teacher opens the door to greet them. There may be a class in progress before your child’s class.
- Class time. One more hug for mom and dad:) Students will head into class. Parents can move into our lobby. We have wifi, comfortable seating, and a kitchen for your convenience.
- Observation time. The last 10 minutes of class time teachers will open the blinds into the studio and open the classroom door. This is your opportunity to see what your child has been learning! No flash photography please.
- Great Job! At the end of class, students will be dismissed back to their parents. Gather your belongings in the changing room. Please remember to change your dancers shoes- dance shoes should not be worn outside. Be sure to encourage your dancer to practice and share what they learned in class. Let them know how proud of them you are! They did it!
Are you feeling more prepared for your child’s first dance class at Mellado Dance Elite? We are HAPPY to answer any questions you may have about classes. We are still accepting enrollment for several of our summer camps and have just opened up registration for the 2017/2018 season.
We love sharing dance with the families at Mellado Dance Elite and would LOVE to welcome you into our dance family.