The winter season brings holidays, beautiful snow, and unfortunately, cold and flu season! The health of our dancers and families at Mellado Dance Elite is SO important to us. When our dancers feel their best they are able to get the most out of their dance classes. Missing dance classes due to illness or injury isn’t fun for anyone!
We’d like to help you avoid missing dance classes this winter. Below, you can find our favorite ways to stay healthy as a dancer this year.
- Keep dancing and moving! Our students at Mellado Dance Elite are lucky! A weekly dance class is a GREAT way to incorporate exercise and movement throughout the winter months. As the weather gets colder, watching movies and staying inside seems much more appealing than playing outside. Staying active throughout the winter should be a priority. A great way to do this is to schedule active activities (like dance classes!) throughout the week.
- Warm-up properly. Colder temps mean that dancers need to spend additional time warming up and preparing for class. Dynamic warm-ups are our favorite way to get the blood flowing. Encourage your dancer to do 30 jumping jacks before class. Leg swings and arm circles are other examples of simple dynamic warm-ups that are perfect for dancers. Taking a few minutes to warm up before class can go a long way towards avoiding injury!
- Stay hydrated. Dancers may not feel as thirsty during the winter months, but is important that they stay hydrated. They should be drinking water before, during, and after dance class. Hot tea can be a great alternative if drinking a cold glass of water doesn’t sound appealing. Send your dancers to class with a water bottle.
- Wash hands before and after class. Washing hands is one of the BEST ways your dancer can avoid getting sick this winter. Germs are everywhere and the dance studio is no exception. Support our efforts to keep our studios clean and sanitized by encouraging your dancer to wash their hands. Washing hands with old-fashioned soap and water is best but hand sanitizer can work in a pinch.
- Fuel your body for dance class. Try to provide your dancer with healthy options that fuel their bodies for dance class. Just like drinking water, making healthy food choices can help dancers be better equipped to handle any illness that comes their way!
- Build in time for rest. The holidays, extra school requirements, and busy schedules mean extra stress for dancers and dance families. Better equip your dancer to handle extra stress by building in time for rest. Journaling, meditation, and yoga can be wonderful things to add to your family’s routine!
We hope your family is ready to take on this winter season head on! Taking a few preventative steps can go a long way towards avoiding illness this winter, and minimize the time your dancer misses dance classes if they do come down with something.
At Mellado Dance Elite, our mission is to develop each dancer physically, mentally, and emotionally. Our dancers’ health and well-being is SO important to our mission. Dancers that are healthy and injury-free shine in the studio and on stage. Our team at Mellado Dance Elite is committed to creating a warm, friendly environment that supports families and helps our dancers to stay healthy all year long!